On May 1, 2020, Governor Cuomo has ordered all schools K-12 and college facilities in New York State to be closed through the remainder of the academic year. They are required to continue to provide distance learning during that time. The decision on summer school programming will be announced by the end of May. According to the Governor, schools should start developing a plan now on how they are going to reopen and should consider in their plan the following, which will ultimately have to be approved by the state;
- How can schools monitor the spread of COVID-19?
- How do we instill parent confidence and reinforce student safety?
- When, and how, will extra-curricular activities reopen?
- Do protocols for special student populations change?
- What steps need to be taken to ensure student mental health?
- How can schools best work together to share services and offer opportunities across public and private systems?
- Would any alternative academic calendars work?
Schools should expect additional guidance in the coming days and weeks.