This law is referred to as “Freelance Isn’t Free Act” (FIFA) and allows for freelancers to request a written contract for all work performed in New York City. This new law protects independent contractors who have a contract which will exceed $800 in a 120-day period.
This new law applies to the private sector only and applies only to individual freelancers. It excludes the following:
- Sales representatives
- Medical professionals
Contracts must include:
- Name & mailing address
- Services to be provided
- Amount / rate and method of compensation
- Payment due date (default is 30 days from day work is completed)
- No contract provided: $250
- Payment not in accordance with contract: $500
- Retaliation: Value of the contract
- Reimbursement to freelancer for attorney’s fees
- Multiple violations can result in a fine of $25,000
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call Kim at (631) 582-1600 x114.